The Bandwagon Not As Crowded As They Say
Many people choose to believe in evolution because they have been told that “all” the smart people believe in Darwinian evolution. They have been led to believe that the educated, elite scientists and specialists in their fields unflinchingly and unanimously subscribe to Darwinian evolution. It is no accident that many are led to this belief. Statements made by Darwinian evolutionists often suggest that evolution is believed by the intelligent masses. Notice this brief list of such statements:
- “Evolution is a fact, like digestion” (Howells, 1944, p.5, emp. added).
- “Evolution of the animal and plant world is considered by all those entitled to a judgment to be a fact for which no further proof is needed” (Goldschmidt, 1952, 49:84, emp. added).
- “The first point to make about Darwin’s theory is that it is no longer a theory, but a fact. No serious scientist would deny the fact that evolution has occurred…” (Huxley, 1960, p. 41, emp. added).
- “By now, scientists say, evolution is no longer ‘just a theory.’ It’s an everyday phenomenon, a fundamental fact of biology as real as hunger and as unavoidable as death” (Hayden, 2002, emp. added).
- “[N]o educated person any longer questions the validity of the so-called theory of evolution, which we now know to be a simple fact” (Ernst Mayr, as quoted in Bergman, 2006, emp. added).
A list of this type could go on for hundreds of pages, documenting all the various and copious ways the public is pressured to believe that modern science, at least that done by competent, educated, serious scientists entitled to a judgment, unequivocally accepts Darwinian evolution.
The truth of the matter is, however, not all intelligent, educated, serious scientists accept Darwinian evolution as true. In fact, thousands of extremely well-educated men and women all over the world are willing to stand up and be counted as those who do not believe in Darwinian evolution. Jerry Bergman has amassed a list of more than 3,000 individuals, most of whom have Ph.D.s in science (2006). Bergman stated: “I estimate that, given the time and resources, I could easily complete a list of 10,000 names” (2006). He also noted: “On my list I have well over 3,000 names including Nobel Prize winners but, unfortunately, a large number of persons that could be added to the public list, including many college professors, did not want their name listed because of real concerns over possible retaliation or harm to their careers” (2006).
Although majority opinion never determines the truth, it must be recognized that the bandwagon appeal has been an effective, persuasive maneuver used by Darwinian evolutionists to sway many to join their ranks. The grandiose statements about scientific unanimity concerning evolution, however, are founded on little more than wishful thinking by the evolutionary community. The truth is, multiplied thousands of highly educated men and women can see the faults and flaws in Darwinian evolution. It does not take a rocket scientist to see the flaws in evolution, but many rocket scientists can see them—as well as biologists, geologists, chemists, et al.
Bergman, Jerry (2006), “Darwin Skeptics,” [On-line], URL: http://www.rae.org/darwinskeptics.html.
Goldschmidt, Richard (1952), “Evolution, As Viewed By One Geneticist,” American Scientist, 40:84-98.
Hayden, Thomas (2002), “A Theory Evolves,” U.S. News & World Report, 133:42-50, July 29.
Howells, W.W. (1944), Mankind So Far (New York: Doubleday).
Huxley, Julian (1960), Issues in Evolution (Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press).
REPRODUCTION & DISCLAIMERS: We are happy to grant permission for this article to be reproduced in part or in its entirety, as long as our stipulations are observed.